The FSU Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship program was established in 2010 to encourage the children of Florida State alumni to attend their parent's alma mater and perpetuate the legacy of Florida State within their family. This program was designed to recognize the commitment and support of students in choosing to follow in their families' footsteps and attend Florida State University. Legacy scholarships are funded by gifts to the FSU Alumni Association. Awards are given to incoming freshmen only.
2021 applications are now open. Click here to apply. Applications close on April 4, 2021.
Please join us in congratulating the 2020 Legacy Scholarship recipients:
St. Petersburg, FL
The Ray & Charyl Schroeder Family Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Chris Kornatowski (B.S. '91), Joseph Byers (B.S. '67, M.S. '72, PhD '92)
The Joanos Family Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: George Donovan, Jr. (B.S. '66), Shirley Donovan (B.S. '65), Christy Pemberton (J.D. '94) , Dennis Pemberton, Jr. (B.A. '85)
The Jim & Carole Smith Family Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Paul Bentley (B.S. '91), Eileen Bentley (B.S. '92), Lisa Getson (B.A. '84)
The Charles N. & Donna M. Kauffman Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Crystal Marie (Redmon) Rowell (B.S. '01)
Temple Terrace, FL
The Les and Ruth Akers Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Susan G. Wiggins (B.S. '81), Richard Wiggins (B.S. '81)
The Raymond & Stella Cottrell Seminole Alumni Scholar
Legacy Family Members:
The Jim & Carole Smith Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Ginger Bozied (B.S. '94)
The Tommie Wright Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Elizabeth Klostermann (M.S. '19)
Winter Park, FL
The Tri-Eagle Sales Scholar
Legacy Family Members: William Branch (B.S. '65), Joan Branch (B.S. '64), Scott Ferguson (B.S. '96), Barbara Ferguson (B.S. '96), William Ferguson (A.A. '19)
Ormond Beach, FL
The Colonel Richard Erickson Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Salli Melvin (B.S. '94), William Melvin (B.S. '94), Gina Reynolds (B.S. '91, M.B.A. '92)
Coral Springs, FL
The Gilbert S. Chandler Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Alexis Moffa (B.S. '19)
West Palm Beach, FL
The Yvonne & Stephen Brown Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Laura Wensing (B.S. '94), Mark Chin-Lenn (B.A. '94)
The Diane Andrews Legacy Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Shannon Canova-Draney (B.S. '91, M.S. '92)
The Chairman’s Scholar
Legacy Family Members: Alexandria Orchard (B.S. '19)
- In 2020, 14 awards of $2,000 each (for freshman year only) were presented.
- At least one parent, grandparent, sibling, or step-parent must be a graduate (undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D. or J.D.) of Florida State University and a current dues-paying member of the FSU Alumni Association*.
- Scholarship applicants must have applied for admission to Florida State. Awards are made only to accepted freshman students.
- Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the scholarship award:
- Online Application
- Authorization to Release Information
- Release to use photo/quotes for promotional purposes
- Written Essay (prompt is included on application)
- Academic Merit – GPA and Academic Awards (use weighted GPA)
- Need-based – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) numbers considered
- Community Service/extracurricular activities
For more information about the Legacy Scholarship Program, contact Aimee Wirth at 850.644.1148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.